The feng shui concern with staircases is that a staircase typically creates a quality of energy that is unsettling. Depending on the energy flow of a specific home - as determined by its floor plan - this unsettling energy easily spreads out throughout the house.
When trying to access the feng shui of a specific staircase, look at two factors:
1. Location of the staircase
The worst feng shui locations of a staircase inside a home are when the staircase is facing the front door, or when it is located in the center of the home/ the feng shui heart of the home.
2. Design and Style of the staircase
The worst design of a staircase is the design that has open space between the steps, as well as a staircase with metal railing and handrails in a wood feng shui element area. Generally, it is best to avoid the spiral shaped (or corkscrew) design of a staircase in the center of the house, especially a staircase made mostly from metal.
Because the feng shui energy of a staircase is an unsettled, up-and-down energy, it is good to focus on creating a more balanced, grounded energy by applying easy feng shui decor tips, such as:
- Use surrounding walls to display art and photos in visually strong frames. Choose colors and materials according to the feng shui element needed in the specific bagua area.
- Install lighting with a strong presence that will ground and calm the energy. This can be a one big chandelier or several visually attractive wall sconces; you will have to decide which design suits your home style the best.
- Consider adding beautiful architectural features, be it wainscoting or moldings, that will add character and presence to your staircase area.
- Maximize your landing area space by adding beautiful art or healthy, lush plants in beautiful, stylish pots. If the feng shui area will benefit from the water element, sure consider adding a framed mirror or a small fountain.