Let the word "major" not scare you. Just read to understand the principles and basic methodology of a deep space clearing session and see if you can do it. Maybe you would like to change some elements, or modify and omit some steps. Experiment and see what works, but do not avoid the process completely.
- The first step is basic: plan and prepare for your feng shui and space clearing session. Find the best day and time when you will not be rushed or disturbed. Optimum time for a feng shui space clearing session is in between 11am and 1pm. Do not start later than 3pm.
- Be sure you have all the materials you need (listed below). Also be sure to prepare a spot that will center the energies - an altar - on which you will place all the needed space clearing tools. This can be your dining table, or the fireplace mantel, or something similar with easy access to it.
- Be sure you feel balanced, be sure your energy is calm and clear. See what works best to put you into the right frame of mind: it might be an early morning walk in the woods or maybe a yoga class. You decide. Take a shower right before the space clearing session, and be sure to wear fresh clean clothes.
- Do your best to set up your altar as a beautiful, inspiring energy spot. The very minimum for a feng shui space clearing altar are: candles and incense (purifying Fire element) and fresh flowers (Wood element). The other three feng shui elements can be presented as following: Water as a small bowl with pure water; Metal as a clear glass candleholder, plus the metal bells used for space clearing; Earth as natural rock crystals. Use your sense of beauty while creating your energy spot - the feng shui space clearing altar. Do not fret over the rules, as there are no hard rules for it.
- Turn on the music and go around your space trying to sense its energy, as well as place at least one candle in each room. You can also go into each room with your incense stick to spread the gentle sweet scent in preparation for the session. Be sure to have at least one window open to allow stale energy to leave and fresh energy to enter. And now you are ready to start!
- Roll up your sleeves and do the following: starting at the main door and moving clockwise, clap strongly into each corner of your house. Clap from the lowest level to as high as you can reach to the ceiling. You will feel a huge difference in the quality of energy as the sound of clapping will be different depending on the accumulated energy. Be sure not to omit any corners in your house, and be sure to clap as much as necessary; some house corners will require more time. Continue clapping until you feel a clear difference in the sound. When finished, be sure to wash your hands up to elbows in cool water.
- Use your sage smudge stick on the same pathway around the house to purify any energy residues. Be careful not to stain your furniture or flooring, be mindful that the sage ashes can burn fabric or slightly damage the floors. If you prefer not to use the smudge stick, use an essential oils airspray with sage or any other purifying oils, such as lemongrass, for example, or sandalwood and cedar. Choose the best oils from what is available to you. Spray the essential oils around the house, especially in the corners. Personally, I like to do both the smudging and the essential oil steps.
- If you decided to use bells, now is the time to ring the deepest sound/vibration bell into each corner, and wait slowly for the sound to really penetrate the space. You can ring a couple times in each corner, going in the same clockwise fashion. Then use the next, higher vibration bell(s) in the same way, waiting for the sound to completely dissolve until you ring again. Take several deep breaths and do it slowly. The lightest vibration bell will feel like the sweet sound of faeries; this is the time to focus on spreading your wishes for the home and infusing it with positive energy.
- Technically, this is it! You've done the basic steps of a deeper feng shui space clearing session. There might be a lot of information about the house coming to you during space clearing, take the time to process and honor the info. Do not rush to finish the session, let the music still play for a while and let the candles and the incense burn on their own accord. Just be in that clear space and see what else comes up. Maybe your living room needs more attention, or maybe it's your front door. Pay attention. If all is well, then make yourself a nice cup of tea and enjoy a job well done!
- Do not overdo the session and do not try too hard. Your goal is to feel out the energies purify your home. You might not do it perfect for the first time, but you will sure gain a greater awareness of the energies in your home. Be honest, be real and enjoy it; it is a beginning of a whole new level of awareness for you.
- It is Ok if you feel you have to do another session soon, there is no such thing as "too much" of space clearing. Again, feel free to experiment and try it as many times as you think it is necessary to purify the space; until you find your style and everything clicks, so to speak. After you have done it several times you will have more confidence, as well as a knowing as to how often your house needs to be space cleared.
What You Need
- CANDLES: Several (at least one for each room plus the altar)
- SOUND/MUSIC: Uplifting, healing
- BELL(S): Ideally two or three with different resonance
- SAGE: A smudge stick is ideal
- INCENCE: Frankincense, or Nag Champa, or Sandalwood
- ESSENTIAL OILS: Lavender and/or Mint, Lemongrass
- HIGH ENERGY ITEMS: Fresh flowers, crystals, specific images, etc.